Voting is now over for 2013 - thanks for participating!
2013 Winner Announcement
2013 Winner Announcement
RulesWelcome to the 5th Annual Best Small Business Book Awards by Small Business Trends, for 2013. Here are the Official Rules:
- Business books relevant to small businesses or entrepreneurs -- Books must be non-fiction and relevant to the small business or entrepreneur market. No fiction is allowed, except for business allegories.
- Published between January 1, 2012 and December 31, 2012 -- To be eligible for most categories, books must have a first publication date in 2012, or must be a revised edition issued in 2012. Please note: a reprinting is not the same as a "revised" edition - the book's content must have been revised during 2012 to be eligible.
- Books published prior to 2012 -- Business books released prior to 2012 are eligible ONLY for the "Classics" category.
- Print books and ebooks both eligible -- Books are welcome if published in any format, including print (self-published or traditionally published) or electronic (eBooks, PDF books, Kindle books, Google ebooks, CD-ROM and similar electronic formats). Electronic books must have either an ISBN number, ASIN number or a price tag for sale. "Free ebooks" in the form of short content offered only as a marketing incentive (such as an inducement to subscribe to an email list) are not eligible.
NOMINATION CATEGORIESIn 2013 there are 10 book categories and one non-book category:
- BOOK CATEGORIES: Eligible books will be accepted for nomination in the categories of: Marketing, Social Media, Management, Economics, Technology, Startup, Personal Finance, Self Help, Leadership / Memoirs, and Classics.
- NON-BOOK CATEGORY: Non-book resources designed to support business-book authors are eligible in the "Resources" category. Examples of what is eligible for the Resources category include: publishing companies, technology to help publish or sell books, ghost writers, cover designers, publicists, book agents, writing coaches, publishing apps, proofreading services, book printing resources, and any other kind of resource that reasonably is designed to support business book authors in the writing, publishing, marketing or sales process.
- TOP 10 WINNERS -- The nominees with the top 10 number of votes at the conclusion of voting will each be named to the 2013 winners' list, along with the recognition that comes with being named a 2013 Small Business Book Awards winner. Recognition includes publicity as a winner, as well as the right to display Winner insignia on books, websites, brochures and elsewhere.
- CATEGORY WINNERS -- The nominees with the top 5 number of votes at the conclusion of voting in each category, will be named Category Winners. The Categories include books on the topics of: Marketing, Social Media, Management, Economics, Technology, Startup, Personal Finance, Self-Help, Leadership / Memoirs, and Classics. An additional non-book category has been added for Resources, covering resources that support business-book authors. The Category Winners will receive recognition as a Category Winner, as well as the right to display Category Winner insignia on books, websites, brochures and elsewhere.
NOMINATINGEligible books and resources may be nominated through March 3, 2013 at 11:59 pm PST (Los Angeles time). Nomination is free -- unlike with other book awards, no nomination fee is required. All nominations are subject to review and approval before being accepted. Go here to nominate.
VOTINGThe voting period starts March 4, 2013 and ends March 26, 2013 at 11:59 pm PST (Los Angeles time). The following voting rules apply:
- VOTE ONCE PER DAY -- Limit one vote per person (i.e., IP address) per nominee, per day. Vote for as many different nominees as you like that day, but you can vote for the same nominee only ONCE in a 24-hour period. However, you may come back each day during the voting period and vote again. A day is defined as a 24-hour period. EXAMPLE: If you vote for BookXYZ on March 9, you may also vote for 10 other books that same day if you choose. But you can only vote for BookXYZ again once 24 hours have passed.
- ENCOURAGING VOTES -- It is perfectly acceptable to encourage your fans, business connections, social media followers and others to vote for a nomination, through social media, email/mobile lists, blogs, websites, forums and other methods. In other words, it is permitted to tell the world about a nomination and encourage anyone to support a nominee with voting.
- PROHIBITED CONDUCT -- You may not promise to pay, offer to pay, or actually pay monetary compensation in exchange for votes. Prohibited activity includes, but is not limited to, purchasing or offering to buy votes via Fiverr, AmazonTurk, job boards, buy/sell forums or similar places -- such activity is against the rules.
- ACTION FOR IRREGULARITIES OR PROHIBITED CONDUCT -- We reserve the right to disqualify nominations and/or votes if such votes are machine-generated or follow an "unnatural" voting pattern, or show other irregularities, as demonstrated by our server logs. We also reserve the right to disqualify nominations and/or votes if we learn that monetary compensation was offered, promised or paid in exchange for votes. The decision to allow or disqualify nominations and/or votes will be made by Small Business Trends in our sole discretion, and the decision is final. Such action may be taken without prior notice or warning.
MISCELLANEOUSWe reserve the right to terminate or extend the Awards at any time, without prior notice, due to unavailability of the Awards website, natural disaster, or any other reason.
The decision of Small Business Trends (via its CEO) will be final as it relates to interpreting or applying these Rules, and as to administration of the Small Business Book Awards.
Read more about the Small Business Book Awards. Thanks for participating in the 2013 Best Small Business Book Awards, and good luck to the authors and nominees! Last updated: January 28, 2013.